Recommended Software or Hardware
Often students and parents ask about equipment needed to do Freestyle work at home. The list below is not required but for those families that can afford it, here is what we use at Freestyle.
- All Freestyle students use Adobe Creative Cloud CC Applications - see https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/buy/students.html?promoid=KTMBL to get the applications for home computers. Install the software on your home computer and we can provide the license for it so that it won't cost you any money.
- All students also use Wacom Cintiqs, digital drawing pads (we use 6x8 pads) and DSLR cameras (we use Canon T6i or better)
- Animation students will use Maya which we can also provide a free Serial Number for use at home.
- Film students use Premiere Pro CC and some use Final Cut Pro.
- Film students also use Canon T5i or T6i DSLR cameras which has full 1920x1080 HD video capability. Students in Design use Canon T3 or T5 DSLR or T6 DSLR cameras. The Canon T3 (now discontinued) has 1280x720 HD video capability. The Canon T5 or T6 has 1920x1080 HD video capability - so the T6i better if can afford it.
- Animation students use Canon T6i DSLR
- Film Students also use the Tascam DR-40 portable recorder for film audio.
- Design and Animation Students also use the Tascam DR-05 portable recorder for audio interviews.
- Students also use for music production AVID Pro Tools, Propellerhead Reason, and Ableton Live
- Students can check out a used iMac for use at home for the entire year while inventory is available. Fill out this online form to sign-up for equipment to use at home.
- Students can check out a used digital drawing pad for use at home for the entire year while inventory is available. Fill out this online form to sign-up for equipment to use at home.
- For either PC or Mac computers to purchase for yourself, the above applications work best with 16 GB or more of RAM. Any Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, MacBook or iMac running Mac OS 10.11 or 10.12. The Apple Education Store has some deals for students. Speak to Mr. Florendo or Mr. Taylor about a PC recommendation.
- Students can also sign-up and use lynda.com for video based tutorials
Digital Drawing Pad
Cintiq Drawing Tablet
Film - Tascam DR-40
Digital Media - Tascam DR-05
Here's what is provided for you at Freestyle. You don't have to get any of it for yourself.